Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Worms

A blend of yesterday and today
Its not the kind of crawling worms that I'm going to blog about here. Rather it is about possibly the oldest city in Germany. Worms is a city that is in Southwest of Germany along the Rhine. It therefore lies closeby to Mannheim. It took me only 20minutes to get to Worms from Mannheim via train.

It was actually a last minute decision to visit Worms. Overly-excited over my free Semesterticket and that I have just finished lunch at the Uni Mensa (canteen) and decided to head to Mannheim Hbf (Hauptbahnhof - Main Train Station, every city in Germany has one), I saw on the Departure Schedule that there would be a train going to Worms leaving in 1 minute time. I rushed to the platform and was lucky to get into the train before it started moving. And I did all that without thinking if I really knew how I'd navigate myself at Worms without any map or any knowledge of what I'd be expecting to see.

But it turned out to be quite a surprise. Upon alighting from Worms Hbf, I did not see any signs of ancient buildings except the Hbf building which looked quite ancient to me. I ventured far out of the Innenstadt and made sure I could still remember where I came from. I was also lucky that there were signs showing the places of interest, and I followed them, which led me to some very beautiful sights:
Cathedral of St Peter, was finished by 1181. Unfortunately most of it ceased to survive history through wars. I bought 5 postcards of the Dome from the caretaker in the Cathedral.



This monument was used to mark the entrance to Worms. Leaving Worms using this road would lead to Bürstadt.

Unfortunately much of the old buildings of Mannheim was destroyed during the 2nd world war. In fact Germany is well known for such medieval castles, churches and historic buildings......

http://picasaweb.google.com/mannheim08/05Feb08Worms

No comments: