Sunday, February 3, 2008

First 2 days in Mannheim

Sunrise in Mannheim - View from my room window (07: 27am)



NeighbourhoodHi everyone, I have started an online photo album and the pictures can be found at this site: http://picasaweb.google.com/mannheim08/

It is now 7.54pm in Germany, which is 2.54am in Singapore. I am still suffering from Jetlag actually. The first two days was well... very very tiring although there were lots of things to carry, do and see.

In terms of sightseeing, I spent the 2 days walking around my neighbourhood and in the innercity of Mannheim. Here are some pictures of my neighbourhood, and I liked the botak trees effect, it gives a very nice feeling to the whole thing.





Innenstadt (Innercity)

The guy above is Hong Keat, he studies Chem eng and also arrived yesterday from Holland, where he spent 1 semester on exchange there. Now he is in Mannheim on one semester of internship with BASF. He's staying 1 block away from me and so the four of us went out walking within the innercity today.


Fasching (Carnival)

Actually Mannheim is not that ugly as what everyone claims, at least I found the innercity to be quite colourful during this weekend, because of a Carnival and parade that was going on, although it was not as grand as those Carnivals in Köln or Mainz, but still it was not bad after all. At first I thought it was a wedding because of the first pic below, but it turned out to be actually a march-parade. There were also games stations and rides.




Essen (Food)
I have not started shopping for groceries yet, so I am still eating out.. looking for cheap eateries. The cheapest solution is of course to cook, I'll do just that once I have visited the supermarket. Today I have the chance to eat my favourite currywurst (curry sausage) again. It was much better than the one I tried in Münster 2 years ago. The container was also very interesting. If you look carefully, its actually an waffle cone which can be eaten. The other thing you see is the Turkish Döner (Kebab) with beer of course, and the garguantuan bread is from a Turkish bakery. And check out the varieties of sauages, which I snapped when I walked past a shop selling only sausages.



http://picasaweb.google.com/mannheim08/First2DaysInMannheim

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey hey! You look happy! :) great to see you enjoying yourself. And I suggest you go to the supermarket soon to stock up food and try cooking! It's one of the fun things of SEP. trust me :)
Meanwhile take care, and you're missed in S'pore!

bs said...

thanks for the tip Jan!

sch haven started for mi yet so I am still slacking n thinking of places to check out.

I'm still looking for a beautiful postcard to send u, the postcards at Mannheim are simply too horrible looking....

Anonymous said...

Hehe..take your time with the postcard! And happy lunar new year! 希望新的一年里, 事事一帆风顺!