Monday, February 11, 2008

Cheap Food in Germany

The poor man's alternative to eating out


You see
1) Pasta (0.55 Euros - used up 1/3 packet)
2) Kiwi Yoghurt (0.29 Euros)
3) BEER (0.33 Euros per bottle!!!!!)
4) Sausage (0.358 per Sausage)
5) Pasta sause (1.39 - used up 1/2 bottle)

Apparently the PPP-theory does not really apply to Germany and Singapore.
Exchange rate - 1 Euro = 2.10 SGD (that was the rate I got before I left. But just now when I checked http://www.xe.com/ucc/, I got so sian because the SGD has appreciated to 2.06 after I came over here.)
And yes, its edible.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow..the beer is damn cheap. How many bottles have you stocked already?
And I've learnt the secret of pasta making during exchange. Try to get the penni (forgot how to spell) pasta. The one that is hollow. Hollow pasta can absorb the sauce better and is softer. Fusilli (the curly one) is the least nice of all :)
Somehow your blog cheers me up. The workload in NUS at this point of time is disgustingly horrible, and by reading your blog, it reminds me that paradise still exist somewhere outside my sorry life. Haha.

Anonymous said...

hi janice,

i'm drinking beer now as i type this reply. on an average day without pubbing i drink like 1-2 bottles... the beer here really taste good because there are lots of brands around.. and branded one like paulner costs only 75 cents, which is impossible to get that in singapore. oh man i hope my parents are not reading this post or they will make noise at me.

as for pasta making.. well i just started making recently.. and the names of the pasta are in german man... so i dunno what pennis is. but i think i shall follow ur recommendation and look for hollow pasta the next time.

well this is ur final sem in nus altho u're gg to do masters.. i think when i come back from germany i will be slogging too =D

Anonymous said...

omg i realised i typed "pennis" istead of "penni" which made it looked like "penis"!

Anonymous said...

hehe..I literally raised an eyebrow when I saw "pennis". BS you must be drunk!!!