Monday, February 18, 2008

Lazy Sunday

Sundays in Germany are typically very lazy for people. All shops (except eateries) are closed because they are required by law to do so (according to the Uni Mannheim handbook). There is really no activity in the city area, the trams come only once every 30 minutes. Most people would thus stay at home, or go jogging or spazieren gehen (strolling or walking) in the woods with their dogs and then drink coffee in the afternoon.

The day was also quite slow for me, as I woke up pretty late and made myself sweep the floor and tidy up my place. In the afternoon I was on the phone most of the time as well as trying to organise what I'd be doing next week.

Dinner with Stan and the Singaporeans

Stan is a full time Malaysian Engineering Student at the Fachhochschule Mannheim (University of Applied Science, Mannheim) and lives 1 floor below me. I have seen him around before but today was the first time he jioed us out to Palm's for dinner. It was not a bad deal actually, because we had Spare Ribs buffet which was 9.90 Euros. The Spare Ribs was of unlimited helping and was very delicious. It came with Bratkatoffeln (roasted potatoes). I ordered a Schwarzbier (Black beer - like Stout) to go with it and it was very well worth the money, cos I went for a second helping as the pile of ribs would testify:

Schwarzbier, Spare-Ribs mit Bratkartoffeln

Potato with sour cream - check out the presentation in the aluminium foil

After the second helping of ribs

It was a great dinner, considering what I had for lunch above today.

Lessons are beginning this week, so this means my holidays are over. Although it is well-known that exchange students do not study, I do hope to learn something useful from my stint here, especially from Corporate Finance. I do not want to be like what I have been always doing at NUS, studying, mugging and getting A and then forget it totally clean once the next semester arrives.

No comments: