Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Post-SEP Effects

It has been almost one week since I returned from Germany and like a drug addict who is trying to kick the habit of consuming drugs, I am trying to recover from the post-SEP symptoms. And I guess time is not on my side, since lessons begin next week. To be fair to myself and the people around me, I have to ask myself whether I really dread coming back, or if the life in Europe is really that wonderful, or whether Singapore is really that sian.

And after some thoughts about it, I conclude that I am quite happy to be back but upon anticipating what's in store for me I start to be dismal again. Life in Europe, to some extent, there are aspects of it which are better than Singapore. But yet again, there are other areas about Europe which leave much to be desired. And having grown up in Singapore, it would have been natural to think that the world out there is waiting to be explored. Let's be honest, Singapore is not a bad place to live in as long if you are law-abiding, know what you are doing. You do not need to strive hard to attain excellence but yet you are still able to survive here. And the infrastructure here, the transport, administration is already considered good. Never mind what the westerners may claim that Singapore live in a government controlled state with minimal political freedom or freedom of all other kinds.

After meeting up with some friends this week, they have left some very deep questions in my head. What do I exactly want to do after I graduate? If I were to work after I graduate, which areas am I especially interested in? Would you want a job that pays well but keep you in Singapore, or a job that allows you to travel but does not renummerate well? When you say you want to get out of Singapore, do you want to travel frequently or just be somewhere in another country for a few years and move on? And the most interesting one: Have you ever considered marrying a German?

But whatever plans I have or fantasize about, one advise from a friend whom I made out of unconventional circumstances (ie: not in school or because of tutorial answers) struck my brains the most: You must resign to your fate.

On a happier note, I am going cycling this Friday. And I am actually looking forward to it.

No comments: