Monday, July 28, 2008

Regensburg und Passau

A visit to Eastern Bavaria

At the invitation of Elisabeth, I went to Regensburg to stay for 2 days. Of all the Bundesländern in Germany, I would say after this trip that Bavaria is the state in which I have travelled within extensively from Würzburg, Bamberg, Nürnberg, München, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Dachau, Rothenburg ob der Tauber as well as Füssen. The trip to Eastern Bavaria is to round up my visit to the major cities of Bavaria. Unfortuantely I did not have the time to cover Bayeuth or Augsburg, both which I heard were nice places too.

Anyway Regensburg is quite an gem in Bavaria I would say. Most of its structures are left unscarthed and untouched. At Elisabeth's place, she showed me some picture books of the history of Regensburg which she had them since the 1940s (black and white printed, with fonts script that I can barely read because it is too cheem) and we compared them to the photos that I took and 99% of them still looks the same from the past. No wonder that the Regensburg, as a medieval city, has been award the status of the UNESCO heritage site.

The Stone bridge - built in the 10th century, is the major medieval highlight.
Colourful pastel coloured houses
The interior of the St. Emmeram's Basilica, yet another baroque feat by the Asam brothers, the most prominent baroque sculpters of Germany in the 18th century.
Hospitable Guests
When Elisabeth first invited me to stay at her place, she told me over the phone that if I don't mind I could sleep in the top floor in the attic. But this was way much better than what I thought. And she was great company actually because she has also travelled widely within Germany and we were able to conserve over a wide range of places. Breakfast was always interesting because we had Bavarian confectionary which is amazingly great and yet a big portion. Well in the first place Bavarian food is always hearty and in big quantities. She also brought me to visit her chio granddaughter Sophia who was unfortunately sick for the past 2 weeks and was lying in bed when I went into her room. All in all it was a great experience to live at her place.
Albert (who studied economics and still believes personally that politics are a bunch of bullshit), Elisabeth
Passau
An hour train ride away from Regensburg brought me to Passau, which I am quite sure very few people have heard of it, even for exchange students in Germany. However Passau has one of the best universities in Germany, especially in law and economics. Which made me quite surprised, because it is even more beautiful as Heidelberg and one of the most beautiful places in Bavaria.

The biggest church organ in the world with 17774 pipes. Not surprising, this is one of the most common image which appear on Passau postcards

Because Passau is located at the confluence of 3 rivers, the Donau, Inn and Ilz rivers, it is also ofen subjected to floods. Here you see markings over the centuries of the water height.
Across the Donau River is the Veste Oberhaus - a fortress built in 1219 and it is only from the fortress that a view where the 3 rivers merge can be seen, as well as a great view of the Altstadt below:
View of the tip where the 3 rivers meet. Actually it looks like only 2, because the third one is hidden out of sight from the trees at the extreme left.

Along the river Inn, where there is a great garden where the students would lie down.
Easten Bavaria is really value for money I would say. The things on the street are not very expensive, probably due to the fact that they are university towns and hence the cost of living is somewhat kept. They are the gateway to the Bavarian forests and it is probably Bavaria's answer to the Blackforest in Baden-Württemburg. It gives the more laid back and lush view when you compare it with other Bavarian cities such as Nürnberg or München.

No comments: