Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Tribute to John Miller Jones

NUS needs this kinda lecturers for econs

There is this course that I took called A Survey of USA, taught by this guy John Miller:

He looks like anything - mafia, rock star, drug addict, anything but a lecturer and of course, his classes are damn slack. During every lesson he looks as though he just had a puff of weed or a shot of heroin before that. And that's why I was damn slack for this course too and started to study only the day before the exam. So I went to the exam with the sentiment that I am going to write something out of nothing.

The day of the exam

It was supposed to start at 12pm but we were still hanging around outside the exam hall at 12pm cos there were 3 concurrent exams by 3 different lecturers, Miller being one of them. And so when we finally got seated it was already 12:15pm. The exam was supposed to last till 1:45pm, but ZR and I finished it by 1:00pm. Because it the seats in the LT were long benches instead of individual seats, it was troublesome for us to hand in our scripts cos we were not sitting the corner but rather in the centre, which means everyone have to get up for us to get out.

I looked at Miller who was at the corner staring away into emptiness and munching away on his bread. Feeling rather bored, I took out my banana and started eating in the exam hall.

15 minutes later, we saw someone handing in the script and leaving the hall. Already quite restless, we put our hands up and Miller came up to us. "You guys are returning to Singapore right? I'll send your results to the Academisches Ausländsamt. All the best and have a good trip back"

And we jumped out of our benches to the row below and made our way out. Later that day, I heard from Johanna who was in the same LT as me sitting for the exam that although the paper was supposed to last till 13:45, by then some people had not finished and so the timing was extended till 14:15. Where got such thing one?? How spontaneous!

My grade for this course

This morning I received an email from Miller:

Dear Boon Song,

You did well on the Klausur (84 pts.), and, along with the presentation, ended up with a 1.7 for the course. I’ll send the test and Schein to the AAA.

Yours, Miller Jones

(Klausur is written exam in German, Schein is certification)

My eyes nearly popped out when I saw 1.7 because I wasn't expecting it at all. For a paper which I spent half a day preparing for it, and a presentation which I spent 30minutes gathering everything from internet, it was really utility maximising and cost minimising (ratio of time spent to grades)

1.0 - 1.5: excellent – an excellent performance
1.6 - 2.0: very good; a performance considerably better than average
2.1 - 2,5: good – a performance which is better than average
2.6 - 3.5: satisfactory – an average performance
3.6 - 4.0: sufficient – a performance which fulfils the specified requirements
4.1 - 5.0: fail – a performance which does not fulfil the specified requirements

Now I am curious to see what are the other grades which I will get. As an exchange student our requirement is to get 4.0 as a minimum grade. That's the standard in order to get the minimum required grade in NUS.

But to anyone who is reading this post and considering to go to Mannheim for exchange, be sure to consider courses taken by him! How I wish my honours year econs modules at NUS next semester will be taught by lecturers like that.

No comments: