Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Food for thought

Mensa is the equivalent of canteen, just that instead of stalls we have fixed menus everyday which can be viewed online for the week. There is a saying that the best Unis in Germany usually have the lousiest Mensas around, while the best Mensas in Germany belong to the Unis which are unheard of. This could probably explain why Uni Mannheim's Mensa food is getting from bad to worse, that I'd starting to think that I could cook better than them. Perhaps it is the law of diminishing utility, for the first time when I ate, I thought Mensa food was not bad. Even for a person like me who has an inclination towards salty food, the food at the Uni Mensa is way too salty for me. And yet I am surprised to see how some Germans can still add salt to their soup or fries.

Here's some pictures of my productive persuits which will probably interest my mother more than anyone else. And yes, they are edible, at least to this moment as I am still alive typing.

Gulasch - some sort of Hungarian stew
Minced meat with diced potatoes, carrots and red peper
Fish fillet with creamy sauce and potatoes.Pork chop with Jägersoße, mushrooms and boiled potatoes.
Honey meat balls - loved every bit of it

Sliced fish soup

Simple egg omlette with mushrooms and melted cheese

Mini crepes with nutella and banana slices. And its not burnt. One of my hot favorites for supper.

3 comments:

Bahnkaiser said...

Mensa in Hochschule Mannheim! It's good & cheaper here! The staff here are nicer! Look out as sometimes we even have BBQ!

Anonymous said...

The food prepared look tempting. We would like u to prepare these for us when u return.

Anonymous said...

Haha! I told you already...after you go exchange you will be surprised at how good a cook you'll actually become. Looks damn good lo...
But even tho I've been on exchange, I can't cook for nuts. I guess that's the difference between guys and gals. Haha